DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Favicons not displaying in Google Search Results

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hello All,

I have multiple portals on DNN installations (running 9.11.00) & having an issue with favicons not displaying in the Google Search Results when they are uploaded via Site Settings.

We're finding if we manually add a link to the icon in Page Output Settings though, it is being picked up (same file that is added via Site Settings).  So I'm trying to whittle down why it works one way, but not another.  The SEO Manager on the team noticed when added manually, instances where double quotes are being used are being recognized by Google, but single quotes are not.  So for example:

• Google Displays: <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/portals/rmco/favicon-v2.ico">
    • Doesn't Display: <link rel='SHORTCUT ICON' href='/portals/lonestarpowersports/favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon'>

The code Site Settings generates is single quotes:
    <link rel='SHORTCUT ICON' href='/portals/rmco/rotfav.ico?ver=Tq976hBkqzhhU6TT7jR3qA%3d%3d' type='image/x-icon' />

Obviously there's also the Type attribute that's different between the examples, and the DNN generated link includes a version string so there are other variables, but could it be something as silly as the style of quotes used?  Google's example is very simple: <link rel="icon" href="/path/to/favicon.ico">.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Thanks!

Veteran Member

I noticed the same issue on a DNN site few weeks ago.
      IMO it's not a DNN issue.

I think in our case after changing the filename to favicon.ico fixed it.
      (which is pretty weird IMO)

BTW did you read this? https://developers.google...ce/favicon-in-search

Veteran Member

I am not sure if this is related, but the paths look off to me. The format should be /portals/<PortalID>/favicon.ico where <PortalID> is a number.

David Poindexter

Creator:

New Around Here

Posted By Timo Breumelhof (40F) on 4/26/2024 12:37 PM

I noticed the same issue on a DNN site few weeks ago.
          IMO it's not a DNN issue.

I think in our case after changing the filename to favicon.ico fixed it.
          (which is pretty weird IMO)

BTW did you read this? https://developers.google...ce/favicon-in-search

Yes - I've visited that page, and the ones linked off it, more time than I'd like in the last few weeks.  Hahaha

I've started working backwards from it - resizing images, reconverting them to .ico files - but knowing when/if Google picks up the new file is a mystery, even when trying to force the hand via Search Console.

New Around Here

Posted By David Poindexter on 4/26/2024 12:57 PM
            I am not sure if this is related, but the paths look off to me. The format should be "/portals//favicon.ico" where is a number.

Maybe that's a customization of our installation?  All our portals have unique folder names in the filesystem.

To be clear, I work on the front-end side of the house, so I'm not familiar with the details of the back-end installation/implementation.

Veteran Member

I Google for and found the site.  The paths for the Portals folder appears to be consistent throughout the HTML source code on the homepage.  But, this isn't typical.  So it makes me wonder what else may have been customized on the site.  🤔 Though, the correct answers appear to be posted already, with the information I'm currently aware of.  

Veteran Member

Posted By Will Strohl on 4/26/2024 2:47 PM

I Google for and found the site.  The paths for the Portals folder appears to be consistent throughout the HTML source code on the homepage.  But, this isn't typical.  So it makes me wonder what else may have been customized on the site.  🤔 Though, the correct answers appear to be posted already, with the information I'm currently aware of.  

My first thoughts, exactly!

David Poindexter

Creator:

New Around Here

Posted By Will Strohl on 4/26/2024 2:47 PM

Yeah - I do know the base DNN has been customized & tinerked with for our purposes, but I don't know what and/or how much.  What's weird (though probably not helpful) is that the icons were working in the Search Results previously; so in my gut I think something changed on Google's side, but we can't get anyone over there to give us guidance outside of what they've published.

Another oddity I should have mentioned, but slipped my mind: we had a favicon.ico at the server root that Google WAS picking up instead of the portal icon.  We deleted that file hoping it would force the pick-up of the portal icon, but now we're seeing sites with the generic Google blue globe icon.  😐

I do appreciate the eyes on on this & suggestions for what seems to be an isolated occurrence.

Veteran Member

Are you able to edit the favicon value that's in the HTML to not include the extra single quote in the URL path? 🤔 

This:
                    <link rel="icon" href="'/portals/lonestarpowersports/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

Should be: 
                    <link rel="icon" href="/portals/lonestarpowersports/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

I hope this helps!  :) 

New Around Here

Posted By Bobby Weaver on 4/26/2024 7:21 PM
                      Posted By David Poindexter on 4/26/2024 12:57 PM
                      I am not sure if this is related, but the paths look off to me. The format should be "/portals/&lt;PortalID&gt;/favicon.ico" where is a number.

Maybe that's a customization of our installation?  All our portals have unique folder names in the filesystem.

To be clear, I work on the front-end side of the house, so I'm not familiar with the details of the back-end installation/implementation.

I'd just like to precise that DNN allows to customise the portal root during the portal creation. By default, the Portal Directory value is prefilled with Portals/[PortalID] but it's possible to customise it. Go to the Sites menu and click on "Add new site" to see this option.
                      Said that, I haven't tested this type of personnalization long time ago.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved